Children – the similarities and differences

My children the similarities and how they are different

I’ve wanted to write about the differences between my two children since I started blogging. I have one daughter who is nearly 3 and a son who is 7 months. So obviously if I was to judge them on their abilities as they are just now, there would be massive differences. Instead I want to focus on their individual character traits and compare their two personalities. Not in any way to be judgemental of them. More because I’m completely fascinated by how alike and different my children can be at the same time.

children love
Me and my children

Early age

Right from birth we noticed differences in their personalities. Alba being the most relaxed baby ever and Arran being a lot more vocal to let us know when he needed something. However, even with this huge difference in characters, there were also so many similarities. One I remember fondly is their love of being held and being passed around from one relative to the next.

They both took to breast-feeding amazingly and without any complications. The differences soon showed when we tried to introduce one bottle in the evening. Again, Alba being so relaxed took one bottle in the evening from me with no problem. Yet Arran, for whatever reason, struggled for months to take a bottle. Ruth loved breastfeeding and persevered with it for months. But with Arran it was just harder as he’d only take milk from Ruth. We tried what felt like 50 different bottles, teets or different formulas, nothing making much difference. Then one day he just got it and never went back to breast. Either a very clever or stubborn young man who knew what he wanted.

Mannerisms

In terms of mannerisms, both our children of are very similar. They’ve both been such happy, smiley and determined children. If you look at pictures of them around the same age they both look so similar and most of the time such happy babies.

Obviously a lot of their mannerisms and behaviour will be to do with genetics. Another topic I’m fascinated in after my brother was born with a genetic condition osteopetrosis.

But for this post I think I’ll focus on their similarities and differences based on how we might have raised them.

A main similarity we’ve noticed is they both hated tummy time and instead always wanted to stand up to see things and play. Alba started waking from such an early age, she took her first step at 9 months. She then realised she could bum shuffle, so did that for a few months before officially starting to walk one week after her first birthday. I think Arran will be similar as he also hates tummy time and is always wanting to stand up when you hold his hands. Time will tell whether he will be walking early or not but so far all the similarities are there.

Eating habits

As I mentioned both children took to breastfeeding no problem but we had a few more issues when adding a bottle into Arran’s routine.

But in terms of their weaning and eating they’ve both loved everything and both started being weaned around 5-6 months. Arran has loved everything so far and seems to constantly want to eat. Making him far more robust and sturdy than Alba who was and still is so petite. Alba started off eating well but as the years have passed she’s become a lot more fussy, some days barely eating anything but toast and a few bits of fruit.

I’m hoping Arran continues to love his food. It makes life so much easier when they eat and you don’t have to battle with them or worry that they are getting enough nutrients.

Parenting, routine and playtime

I think they way we have raised both our children have been the same. We love a routine, so from an early age tried to stick to a strict bedtime routine. Not only to help Alba and Arran but also for us. So far so good, as both are excellent at sleeping. The only complaint being they get up too early. But we’d rather that, than not have our evenings to ourselves.

I think we are very active parents, always looking for something to do rather than sit and turn the TV on. However, the TV or screen time is not by any means a definite No, we use it when we want or need it to but try to limit it as little as possible. I love playing games or getting active whereas Ruth is far more into crafts or getting out the house. It could be because she’s a primary teacher and is use to crafty things but it’s probably more likely to be that I hate mess and glitter! It just gets everywhere!

So far Alba has shown her love of crafts, imagination games and things like puzzles. She, like us, also needs structure or routine. If you tell her whats happening she’ll normally be okay. Whereas, if something different or new is thrust upon her she’d probably be more unsure.

Arran obviously is a little too young to see much development in playing area. My own judgement is, it’s obvious he loves to play toys. He’d sit for a while with one toy and be happy. He also loves the attention or when Alba decides to join in playing with him. He’d play for much longer if he had her attention.

They are who they are

So, almost to a tee we’ve raised them the same way. There are very obvious similarities which you can tell is just their personality. However, for them being so alike there are so many slight mannerisms that make them so unique different.

This is what I love about them and find so fascinating. As they continue to grow I’m sure the similarities and differences will become more apparent. I’ll maybe do a follow-up in a year to see how they’ve changed and developed.

Thanks for reading

This real life Dad xx

19 Comments

1. aliduke79hotmailcom

August 10, 2017 at 10:56 am

It is amazing how our children are so similar but different at the same time. You have two lovely little ones there.
    #fortheloveofBLOG

1. Thisreallifedad

August 10, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Thank you. They keep us on our toes. Thanks for your comment. X

2. thakickfiend

August 10, 2017 at 5:33 pm

awww!such a beautiful family you have there,and i wonder who they got such gorgeous eyes from,i bet its the mom,lol.thanks for sharing your family with us.

1. Thisreallifedad

August 10, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Thank you. How did you guess, they get all their looks from their mum.

3. Bec Webb

August 11, 2017 at 10:42 am

Aww such a lovely post. It’s amazing when you actually sit down and think about their individuality.
    I loved mine doing the bum shuffle! Haha, so cute!
    #mainylovessummer

1. Thisreallifedad

August 12, 2017 at 12:29 am

The bum shuffle is so much better than an ordinary crawl. So funny. Can’t wait to see what Arran does, only the last few days he’s started enjoy being in his tummy more. Still think he’ll either just roll around or bum shuffle too. Thanks for the comment. X

4. * Little Miss...

August 11, 2017 at 1:29 pm

[…] 2. Children- the similarities and differences¬†¬† […]

5. Four Acorns

August 11, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Your children look so gorgeous! I have four kids myself, and I’m constantly seeing similarities and noticing massive differences in their personalities, as well as their physical appearance. Beautiful photos!
    #mainylovessummer

1. Thisreallifedad

August 12, 2017 at 12:26 am

Thank you. I’m guessing being siblings it’s only natural to have some similarities and some differences. I just find out so fascinating to see how they are going to grow up. Whether they’ll be alike or polar opposites.

6. Kim Carberry

August 11, 2017 at 7:34 pm

It really is amazing how our kids can be so different but the same! Fab post. I think I might have to do a post like this to compare my two.
    #mainylovessummer

1. Thisreallifedad

August 12, 2017 at 12:23 am

Thanks. I love watching them grow and seeing how alike or different they are. I’m 1 of 6 siblings so maybe that’s why I find out so fascinating. I’d love to read your post about your kids if you choose to write one. X

7. Mainy - myrealfairy

August 12, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Amazing how siblings can be so different, mine too are like chalk and cheese. They look so alike but are miles apart in how they approach the same problem. Thanks so much for linking up, it’s great to read more about your family.
    Mainy
    #mainylovessummer

8. hanaya602

August 12, 2017 at 5:59 pm

My niece and nephew are 1 & 3 and they have their similarities like running around the house and playing with toys. but whenever we leave the house 1 always cries while the other waves her hand and smiles. It’s crazy. good article

9. The Pramshed

August 13, 2017 at 8:12 pm

This is so true, all children are different. It great that they have their own personalities and are slightly different, I think it helps to keep us on our toes ;0 I know that some parents expect their second child to be exactly like their first in terms of sleep and feeding, and when they don’t sleep we wonder why. Great post and nice new site. Thanks for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

1. Thisreallifedad

August 13, 2017 at 10:14 pm

I love that they have their own personalities, all adds to the fun. Thanks for the lovely comment and I’m glad you like the new site too. X

10. Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...

August 13, 2017 at 9:49 pm

I have 3 children and they are all so different in personality. My eldest is very sensitive, my daughter is headstrong and fearless, my youngest is relaxed. Interesting to see how they develop… #mainylovessummer

1. Thisreallifedad

August 13, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Yeah I love watching them grow and finding their own uniqueness. Can’t wait to see my boy grow up over the next year and see how it compared to how Alba was.

11. kaylaloves

August 19, 2017 at 4:35 am

You have such gorgeous kids!! I love when they start growing and have their own little personalities! #mainylovessummer